Friday, November 11, 2016

Why do we share literature with children?

Reading is fun!  We read for enjoyment, to laugh, and because we want to have students love reading.  We also want students to see themselves in books, but also to have empathy for others and understand cultures other than their own.  Sharing literature also develops student’s imagination and develops vocabulary.  We want to develop lifelong readers.   


As a reading teacher of 18 years I have understood that getting students to love literature will help them in their life.  Books teach them and will give them experiences that some of them will never have.  I have traveled and experienced many things through books that I will never experience in real life.  As I think about evaluating YA literature I am becoming more conscious about diversifying my own choices and in turn able to know more genres and am able to match up a student with a book and hope to turn the readers who “don’t like to read” into a reader who LOVES to read.  

No comments:

Post a Comment