Thursday, November 17, 2016

Chupacabra – Quick Pics 2014


Smith, R. (2013). Chupacabra. New York, NY: Scholastic.  

Marty and Luther have lost their friend Grace who was kidnapped by her grandfather.  They decide to take it on themselves to go into her grandfather, Noah’s, zoo and find her.  They add to their adventure a new friend named Dylan.  The boys go into the zoo separately, however Luther gets taken as well.  It is now up to Dylan and Marty to rescue him too.  They end up far underground in a secret lab/ bunker.  As they learn more they discover Noah has been creating new creatures, a Chupacabra, and he has sent it after Luther to kill him and Marty’s next. 

This book is the third in Smith’s series about these kids who are involved with scientists, cryptozoologist, and cryptids.  They discover giant squids, dinosaurs and other creatures thought to be extinct.  This science fiction book was slow to start and did not hold my attention very well.  I don’t know if it was because it was the third book in the series and I was not attached to the characters from reading the first books (which I haven’t) or not.  It does seem like it could be read without the first two, Cryptid Hunters and Tentacles, because Smith gives enough information that I knew what happened in Tentacles to help me know what was going on in this book.  I also have the book on my classroom shelf and never see any students read it all the way through.  I think this book is fine for middle school.  I don’t think high school would be into it. 

Other books in the series:
Cryptid Hunters
Tentacles
Mutation

Other books by Smith:
Sasquatch
Storm Runners

No comments:

Post a Comment