Thursday, July 7, 2016

Videos and QR Codes in the library

Libraries are using youtube in all kinds of ways to promote returning books all the way to teaching how to do research.  I looked at a few library channels and found the following videos to share with you.

The first school I looked at was  BBMS library.  This librarian produces tons of overdue books parodies, however the kids are making them. I think that is a good idea, because kids know what their peers will find funny and interesting.  It will make for grabbing the attention of students.  The first video is one of the overdue parodies.


He also produces videos to walk the students through the research process.  Here is one of him showing how to create a citation for a database.



The next channel I looked at was Norman High School Library.  This librarian didn't have many videos, but I found this one that showed how to access the library page from home.  I think that is a good basic thing to teach kids, however I'm guessing it is posted on her website and kids would need to know to go there to watch this video.



The second video I think kids would like is one that shows all the things the library offers.  It is a tour of the library by the mascot.  I think sometimes kids may not know all the library has to offer so this would be perfect...a virtual tour.



The next library channel I looked at was The Unquiet library.  One video that stood out to me was the librarian took a mobile check out station to the cafeteria during lunch.  I thought that was pretty ingenious.




She has tons of mini-lessons and tutorials on how to use things.  One that seemed to be pretty popular was about how to create a citation for music.  I liked how she also mentioned copyright law at the beginning as well.  I think students would need to know this as well as teachers.




The last channel I looked at was Pikesville HS Library.  This librarian seems to publish lots of information about college readiness and library reward type activities.  The one I thought the kids would like the most is one from a few years ago...heehee.




Again this librarian shows how patrons are using the library.



I can definitely see using youtube in the library.  I think it will be useful for showing kids how to research, create citations, use the databases, and check out ebooks.  I also can see using it for mini-commercials to promote any fun contests or challenges.  I think using videos to show what materials are available in the library, especially things that might not be known about.

Another great tool to use in the library is Quick Response (QR) Codes.  I already use this to give my contact information at school and think it is an easy way to transfer information.  I can foresee using QR codes all over the library with linking them to book trailers for books that are popular and those that I am having trouble getting kids to read. I can also see using them to do a library scavenger hunt to show what is in the library or how to use materials in the library.  I would like to use them in the makerspace to give ideas or how to use materials (machines).  I could also see using them to link to a google hangout or remind sign up type thing.  I have included one below for you to see what it looks like and use it.  You will need a QR code reader and if you look on your mobile device there are tons of free ones.  And lastly for this post...

Animoto...what in the world is that?  Well I pretty much think it is animating pictures to make a video.  I had not used Animoto before, but I know my students had. I signed up for a free account and decided to make a book trailer for my class next year.  We read Nothing But the Truth by AVI at the beginning of the year, so I thought a good hook would be useful.  First I downloaded some public domain images that would go with the book and saved them in a folder.  From there I uploaded them into Animoto and alternated creating slides with text to explain the story.  Animoto has free backgrounds and music to go along with the themes it allows.  There are more themes and music if you upgrade to a pro account.  Another positive is educators can create accounts and get 50 student accounts.  Animoto Educator Classroom I can see using this for presentations and such for class.  It truly was really easy to use.  I do wish there was more space for typing text, but it does make you keep things succinct and to the point.  :)



In this thought-provoking examination of freedom, patriotism, and respect, ninth-grader, Philip Malloy, is kept from joining the track team by his failing grades in English class. Convinced that the teacher just doesn't like him, Philip concocts a plan to get transferred out of her class. Breaking the school's policy of silence during the national anthem, he hums along, and ends up in a crisis at the center of the nation's attention
Here is my video.  Scan the QR code with your phone and watch it.





6 comments:

  1. Great book trailer. I enjoyed all the details in the video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea about using Youtube videos to teach students how to check out ebooks. I know my own students forget after time how to do that. A video would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer,

    I share your ideas about the power of using Youtube in the library for program promotion. Kids love to see themselves in pictures and in action. I imagine this would truly help to get more students, especially reluctant readers, involved and more willing to participate if for no other reason, than to secure their five seconds of fame. Nice work.

    - Johtell

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right Animoto was easy to use and enjoyable as well. It's a tool that I can see myself using repeatedly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice book trailer too! Very catchy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first thing I thought when I opened your book trailer was "The music on that book trailer, though!" Could it have been any more perfect? And you timed it out just right. Beautiful. Oh, and your post was also very informative and helpful. I used to put books on a cart that were handpicked from the library for a specific topic (say, business, or earth science) and then I would book talk them. I got a lot of checkouts that way, too!

    ReplyDelete