Monday, July 11, 2016

Cartoons and Comics

I played around with different comic strip programs today.  I see a lot of uses for this in the classroom/ school.  I see students using the programs to create a quick assignment to show what they learned or teach someone else.  I see teachers using it to grab kids attention to introduce a lesson or concept.  I also see using it for a flipped lesson.  I can see it being used for book trailers, science experiments, timelines, etc.

The first program I looked at was Make Beliefs Comix! and created a 4-paned comic.  I liked this program because it gives characters that have a few positions, backgrounds, different speech/thought bubble sizes, and it is easy to use.  The one thing I didn't like about it was I could only do up to 4 panes and if I wanted to do more I couldn't.  That in itself does make you keep it succinct, but I didn't care for the limited panes. It also didn't have a ton of objects to use and place in the pane.  There is no log-in for this one and you can't create an account.  You can email yourself your comic when you are done.

How to solve Boredom Comix!

The next program I looked at was ToonDoo.  This program was a little more difficult and I had to do some reading to see how to save it.  It was not easily done and I wasn't sure how I did it until I played some more and figured out the drop down menu from the Toondoo logo. It again has built in back drops, characters, speech/thought bubbles, etc. that you drop in and adjust.  This one seemed to have a little more customization with adjusting the speech bubble, flipping and rotating the characters, and the ability to create characters.  Again, though you are limited to how many panes you can create.  I tried a vertical and a horizontal and could not get it to add a pane.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong..??? This had a free account and you are able to use the App on iTunes.

First one with all their templates already created...
crazy people
By jenhill93 | View this Toon at ToonDoo | Create your own Toon

Second one with my own people and some doodling...

take 2 practice

The third program I looked at was Pixton.com.  I really liked Pixton.  It was again easy to use with drop in backgrounds, characters, etc.  I could add more panes, which I really liked.  I had to create my account online and then I could use the app to build my comic strip.  It had most of the features that ToonDoo did but it just seemed a little more user friendly.  It has different layouts like a comic strip, storyboard, graphic novel, mind map, character map, plot diagram, timeline, poster, and photo story.  All the choices would be great to use for different projects, however some of them you have to upgrade to a membership.  I first made a comic strip about reading and created the backgrounds and things I wanted...



The next one I did a Story Board and picked weather systems.  It guides you through each step to create a story board.  I started in the online program then it moved me into the app to create it.  You can add speech bubbles and also a panel description.  Once you create all the panels you click done and it takes you back to the internet.  There you can title it, edit it, or publish it.

Here is a Story Board...


Lastly I created a Tellagami.  Ok...seriously love this but it reminds me of an old app called Voki, or something like that.  You are pretty much creating an animated cartoon that talks or you can type in speech.  It again is free and you can create an account.  It is very limited in your choice of people, clothing, etc.  Most everything is locked and I'm not exactly sure how you unlock them.  I think I don't allow in app purchases and you have to purchase them.  There is a Tellagami Edu app that you can purchase for $4.99 and if you feel you will use it often would be worth the money.  It unlocks a lot of stuff in the app for the initial cost.

 Once you are finished creating your picture you can record your voice.  It will only give you 30 seconds so you need to have a script or plan of what you want to say.  To type your text or get 90 seconds of speaking you have to buy it.  If you type your text it gives you options for the voice speaking either female or male and there are some different dialects.  Here is the first Tellagami I made...LOL




Here is one for a book teaser.  I uploaded my own picture of the cover of the book...



Lots of fun technology to use in the classroom...I found that Tellagami was the easiest to use.  For an actual comic strip I liked Pixton, then Make Belief Comix!, and lastly ToonDoo.  I think looking at all of them they are all enough different that some people may prefer one over the other and some students may want more customization.  Each one offers something a little different and I think would be good to present all of them for students to play with and try out.

Here is a link for some ways to use Comic Strips in the classroom: How to Play - Educators

3 comments:

  1. Great job with your comics! Your Tellagami is cute. There could be so many uses for this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also liked Pixton the best. I thought it was the most user-friendly. Your Tellagami is great! I plan on using this app on our school ipads. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many people do not want to talk on camera. Tellagami could really make it easier for people to communicate! Your critique of all the webapps was thoughtful and in-depth. Nice!

    ReplyDelete