Monday, April 26, 2021

Becoming Muhammad Ali by James Patterson and Kwame Alexander


 Cassius Clay's story is told through free verse by himself and in prose by his best friend Lucky.  It starts with a group of family and friends waiting on Cassius' call from him competing for the Golden Gloves in Chicago.  After the phone call, we flashback to his growing up and learn about his family, friends, struggles with school and how he got into boxing.  

I was sad, because I LOVE both authors, but I just wasn't super impressed with this book.  I feel like I needed more story and details of his life.  I liked the illustrations and I liked the relatability of his life growing up and the the historical aspect of being black in the USA during his childhood years.  Overall, I'll recommend to boys who are into sports, and anyone who is into history.  




No comments:

Post a Comment