Thursday, June 9, 2016

Facebook and Twitter




After looking at several library Facebook pages, I have come to the conclusion that they may not be the most effective for students. Possibly even parents. I don’t know if these libraries just did not promote their pages or if their patrons just don’t use Facebook, but there were very few likes and comments on them, if any. They seemed to share typical library posts such as book fair promotion, author visit promotion and pictures from the visit, free audio books for the summer, and recommended book lists. I am wondering if another avenue would be better in promoting my library with students and parents, maybe Instagram, twitter or YouTube. I’m also wondering if promoting it through webpages, open houses or with QR codes in the library to link directly to them would help.


In looking at some top names in educational technology I have learned that there are way too many new and upcoming things for one person to keep up with. It is helpful to see what they are interested in and how I can apply what they are learning, doing or engaging in to my own school. The big topics right now seems to be makerspaces and coding along with Sketchnotes, new apps, and even technology lockers! Some of the tweets I found especially interesting are:

Kathy Schrock promoting her website, which has lots of good information.
Schrock also gives a semi-review a computer.

I love this poster to use at school and have for student access (and teachers!!)

Linda Braun had a good link for teachers to learn from YALSA this summer.

Braun also shared this on coding, which I want to incorporate into my school next year.

I just LOVE Gwyneth Jones and her quirky personality.  I was already following her on twitter and I love her idea of charging lockers.  I think this is perfect for high school and possibly even middle school (depending on the school).

5 comments:

  1. Hi Linda,

    You've created an impressive bank of modes to promote the campus library either in addition to or in place of a Facebook page. I love QR codes and position them in my library near popular and poorly circulating texts. The students travel in groups using library-issued I-pads to scan the codes and read peer recommendations, text trailers, or listen to my reading of excerpts from poorly circulating books to get them into the hands of readers. Nice work!

    - Mrs. Johtell B. Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,
    I also noticed that libraries who had Facebook pages were not receiving a large number of likes, shares, or comments. However, I think the same is probably true of many businesses that have Facebook pages. I think people tend to comment more on their "friends" Facebook posts. However, you may be right that Facebook may not be the best platform for a school library. Still, I think it is worth having a Facebook page for the library to reach as many people as possible with information. I think libraries should use all avenues possible to communicate with users.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer,
    I noticed the same thing about Facebook not receiving a lot of comments. I stated in my blog that this could be one of the disadvantages of using Facebook. I do believe that it is a great way to reach the community, parents, and students. I also saw that there's a lot of great information shared through Facebook. I must say that I like the charging lockers ideas too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thinking that FaceBook is getting to be passé for students. I wonder, though, if it's a good way to reach out to parents. Or is there something better? Lots of people do not have FaceBook accounts, and that doesn't show anything other than they don't like something about it enough to elect to not participate. So maybe there's a better way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that my 8th graders are into Instagram and snap chat. I'm not sure about the parents. I need to do some surveying. I also think if you have a Facebook or any other social media it still has to be promoted otherwise people don't know it's there.

      Delete